2021 Begins With A Devilish Win

It’s been a difficult start to the year for me on a personal note. As I sit to write this, I think to myself, I don’t actually have much to say on Manchester United’s win over Aston Villa on New Year’s Day. But I do know that when I start listing my thoughts, it could get lengthy.


Open & Even Game Edged By United

I felt the match was open and even. We had more attempts on goal and more shots on target than Villa in the first half. That was also made possible by Villa’s stance to take the game to us rather than sitting back and looking to hit on the break. It wasn’t the smoothest of attacking displays but I felt we could have done better in the final third. The goal we did score came through an unlikely source, an Aaron Wan Bissaka cross. He has got a lot of criticism, justified I feel, for his attacking displays but this time, he delivered an inch-perfect cross that was just missed by Tyrone Mings and nodded in by Anthony Martial. The goal Martial scored showed the predatory instincts and movement of a quintessential striker.


Pogba & The Controversial Winning Moment

Paul Pogba had a good game and deserved a goal, he got into the box several times but his shooting radar was off. He did win a penalty for us which has been disputed and controversial. I don’t consider myself to be biased but when I watched the replay, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be a penalty. A lot has been said and pointed out of Pogba tripping himself but I saw Douglas Luiz step inside to trip his leg. It turned out to be a winning moment, as Bruno Fernandes scored in his trademark fashion from the penalty spot.

Soft Goal To Concede & Top Performance By Bailly

The goal we conceded was soft. Wan Bissaka went from hero to villain. He was caught napping and dreaming on the free-kick to allow Jack Grealish to put in a cross to the back post to Bertrand Traore. He capitalised but thankfully it was not costly. Villa had more attempts on goal in the second half but it was inevitable that as long as the score stayed at 2-1, they would pile on more pressure on our goal. The last-ditch block by Eric Bailly on Keinan Davis was as important as Fernandes’ penalty. Bailly had another superb performance. I always believed that when fit, he is the best centre-back we have and he is getting a run of games to prove that.

Not Convinced Of Title Contenders Tag

We end this game joint-top playing the same number of matches as the top-placed team, our bitter rivals, Liverpool. Out of nowhere, we find ourselves in an unlikely title challenge. Are we good enough to sustain it? Are we good enough to go beyond that and win it? I am not convinced. I don’t think many United fans are confident either. Let’s take it one game at a time and let the team prove themselves on the pitch where it all matters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time For Italy To Prove Themselves

Supercoppa Champions (Again!) Cover The Cracks

Routine Inter Win